[wp-hackers] OT: MySQL optimization

Chris Williams chris at clwill.com
Mon May 7 23:48:02 GMT 2007

So, with InnoDB it's all magic and the index reorganization happens as it
goes along?  All indexes need to get adjusted as changes (especially
deletes) happen, does InnoDB do this behind the scenes?

That was always our goal (back when we were writing FoxPro) but I wasn't
aware that any DB had effectively implemented it.  I know it was
experimented with in SQL Server, but it was found that dbadmins preferred to
do it off peak.  Been out of that biz for a while, not sure if they ever
went with an engine that could do it on the fly.