[wp-hackers] User Roles

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 16:56:59 GMT 2007

On Mon, March 19, 2007 4:31 pm, Andy Staines wrote:
> Peter Westwood wrote:
>> On Mon, March 19, 2007 4:01 pm, Andy Staines wrote:
>>
>>> So - is there an improvement on using wp_get_current_user() ?
>>>

>> Yes.
>>
>> >From memory - current_user_can() should provide the functionality you
>> want.
>>
>> current_user_can() calls has_cap() on the User object which has the
>> following comment: /has_cap(capability_or_role_name)
>> (http://trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-includes/capabilities.php#L258)
>>
>> Therefore you should be able to do current_user_can("Administrator");
>>
>> westi
>>
> Thanks - but for that don't you need to either already know the role and
> be interested in a specific capability? I just wish to determine the
> current users 'role(s)' in the first place, in the simplest most
> efficient way possible...
> Andy

OK.

----
foreach ($wp_roles->get_names() as $rolename => $roledescription)
{
    if (current_user_can($rolename)) {
        $usersroles[] = $rolename;
    }
}
print_r($usersroles);
----

Gives you the role(s) that apply to the current user.

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk