[wp-hackers] Plugin Licenses

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 09:08:26 GMT 2007

On Fri, March 16, 2007 7:12 am, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> David Chait wrote:
>> I'll put my vote +1 to a check-updates solution that does NOT depend on
>> GPL-only repositories, and -100 otherwise... ;)
>
> The opinion of the FSF is that distributed plugins for WordPress also
> fall under the GPL:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

I am not convinced that that this can apply to all WordPress plugins.  If
I ship my non-GPL plugin with WordPress then I am breaking the WordPress
Licence as described.

However, if I make available a piece of code, which works as a WordPress
plugin, separately then I am free to licence that in any way I choose as
it is an independent project.

> I've met people who suggest their work is too good to "give away" as
> Open Source software, but we're all lucky none of the contributers to
> WordPress felt that way or we wouldn't be having this discussion today.

Agreed.

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>