[wp-hackers] p inside blockquote

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Thu Mar 1 07:24:46 GMT 2007

> From: "Sam Angove" <sam at rephrase.net>
>
>> There is no XHTML rule that says this should happen. Create a test
>> document with a blockquote, without the inner p, and validate it.
>> It's fine. Both p and blockquote are block-level HTML elements. Why
>> nest one inside the other?
>
> The p element cannot contain block-level elements.

I'm not suggesting that it should. I'm saying that blockquote can
stand on its own without any p container, either inside or outside of
itself. But WP won't let that happen (and this seems to be new
behavior for WP - my blockquote CSS only broke with a recent update).
WP is inserting unnecessary HTML that breaks a good number of CSS
designs, and I'd like for it to stop doing that.

Scot