[wp-hackers] Re: Blogroll, Bookmarks, Links?

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Tue Jun 26 19:29:09 GMT 2007

> From: Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com>
>

> All snark aside, the point is there.  Yes, these things we're talking
> about _are_ links, just as Posts _are_ just bunches of words.  But
> "words" isn't specific enough -- a post is more than just words.
> "Links" isn't specific enough -- these things are more than a simple
> <A> tag.

I disagree. No  matter  how many features are added  to  this URL
management feature, no matter  expansive  its underlying architecture
someday  becomes, it'll  still be a pile  of links at the  end  of
the  day, and this  interface  will  still be used for managing those
links. I think a lot  of these  distinctions between what  links  or
bookmarks "truly are" are fluid definitions subject to
interpretation. However, we all  agree  that they're ultimately
links. We  don't  all  agree that they're ultimately bookmarks.

Also: No matter  how  many fancy features the URL  manager eventually
acquires, the  vast majority of  people  will  still use it to
create a simple list  of URLs in their sidebars. In other  words,
some developers  may see  it  as more  than a link manager, but most
users  will not.

./s