[wp-hackers] Widgets and Roles

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 00:27:13 GMT 2007

On 6/20/07, Robin Adrianse <robin.adr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't agree at all of widgets having their own tab. We have too many
> main
> menu items as it is (Links/Bookmarks/Blogroll or whatever could even go
> under Manage, IMO), and adding one for a feature some people (like myself)
>
> don't even use seems very much in excess.

And because I may use Widgets, and someone else uses Links, makes me less a
WP citizen?

I personally am not proposing a new tab, just a hook in capabilities to
separate theme editing from widgets....

Also, I'm of the opinion that changing widgets is in the same "trust circle"
> as managing widgets. I don't see much use at all for being able to
> manipulate widgets, yet not be able to switch themes. I'm open to
> discussion, however.

What was the core decision of adding widgets?  Least common denominator
user?  Certainly couldn't have been about who could switch themes?

Switching themes is a different capability than editing themes.  Managing
widgets is tied to editing themes.  As I mentioned, I can currently make a
theme directory non-writable, thus suffer no consequence, likewise, if
widget management was tied to theme switching, I could remove all other
themes, but it still seems as if it's no longer theme/plugin related.

The root of the conversation, IMO, is that the powers that be made widgets a
core element.  Why is it a theme related element now?  Reality sake, it
should have never been under themes in the first place.  It was a plugin.
 But, that's another argument for another day, that I see being discussed?
Where do plugin options really belong.  As I'm saying, widgets are no longer
a plugin, and not about theme editing.  Why be relegated to that capability?

~miklb

Finally, my point is not to make them a top level tab/element, or even
really am I saying that they *must* be moved.  I'm just asking that a
separate capability hook be coded in so that they can be better leveraged.
 I'm assuming the reason they were incorporated into core was for this exact
reason.

Otherwise, there's still some pissing match going on between the pure PHP
folks and the user friendly ones.