[wp-hackers] Plugin could not be activated because it triggered

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Thu Jun 21 07:34:44 GMT 2007

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:20:36 +1000, ozgreg <wphackers at galleryembedded.com>
wrote:
> The issue is we need the error output, my suggestion would be to have a
> link in the plugin cannot be activated error message that allows the
> plugin activation to be simulated and the error output be displayed, but
> I am open for suggestions..

The issue with trapping the error output is that its incredibly hard to
do..
Once a "Fatal" error occurs, the PHP script stops in its tracks, PHP Error
handlers CAN NOT do fatal errors, only notices/warnings(i think) and user
triggered errors.

The only way i can see would be to include a link somewhere that attempts
to activate the plugin, But doesnt do the redirections, Or somehow having
WP do a HTTP Request for the plugin activation page without the
redirection and display the result.

the Fatal error would be in the error log if its enabled in PHP, And for
that matter, If the user can access the error logs even.

(I aplogise for this not being in its sub-thread, I dont feel the need for
a new post for it.)
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:17:55 +1000, ozgreg <wphackers at galleryembedded.com>
wrote:
> I certainly would want to see something done quickly, at the very least
> a activation error hook (before) ob_end_clean() so at least we have a
> hope of capturing what is happening.

Unfortunatly if a "Fatal" error(to my knowledge the only error which trips
the error non-activation point) the ob_end_clean will never be run, yet
alone any other PHP code that we'd like to run.