[wp-hackers] Security Releases Proposal

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 07:33:21 GMT 2007

On Tue, June 12, 2007 2:33 am, Matt wrote:
> I think it might be even better, for security issues related to just a few
> files/lines of code, to also release along site the new version fxing it,
> is
> to release a text file that has what code to find, and what to replace it
> with, so more advanced users can upgrade even faster.

Yes and No.

Releasing diff files to allow people to use patch is a good idea.

Encouraging people to hack files in there favourite text editor is a bad
idea - there are too many things which can go wrong e.g.

1. Missing bits of the change.
2. Editor converts the line endings or otherwise screws with the file.

etc.

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>