[wp-hackers] WP issues

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Jun 6 11:04:18 GMT 2007

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> But WP can create malformed XML. The feeds are just an example of that.
> That argument is only valid when you know the output is well-formed.

Yes, WP can create malformed XML.

No, WP should not create malformed XML.

It is possible to autofix all malformedness before publishing anything.
This has been proven by example in Java (Google TagSoup). I am not yet
aware of a similar effort in PHP. Tidy comes close but is not quite
robust enough.

It may be possible to fix the WordPress problem effectively without
fixing all malformed HTML. If the themes start well-formed, then all we
really need to worry about are the posts and comments, and those use
only a subset of HTML to begin with.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!