[wp-hackers] 2.0 branch

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:36:43 GMT 2007

On 7/28/07, Simon Wallis <atthe404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well there is clearly is something wrong with the upgrading philosophy. WP
> depends in large part on the goodwill of plugin and theme developers. The
> upgrade model takes no cognisance of either community. Most commercial devs
> need to stick with older versions. They can not afford the stress or the
> financial cost of re inventing the wheel every time they do an install.

WordPress most definitely depends on the goodwill of plugin and theme
developers. Open source, open bug tracking, open development, this is
fundamental.

WordPress code continues to mature with the diverse participation of
the development community. I would rather have a forward moving
WordPress, than a backwards compatible one.

WordPress now has a known release cycle.  2.3 is scheduled for
September 20, 2007
http://wordpress.org/about/roadmap/  In the weeks before, don't leave
it to someone else to make sure that your favorite plugins work well.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins has been a awesome step forward,
and I look forward to how update notification and additional features
can improve the quality of the experience.

Cheers,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com