[wp-hackers] WordPress Uses "Wrong" Apostrophe in Blog Title

Rob Miller r at robm.me.uk
Wed Jul 11 06:09:31 GMT 2007

Matt wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> IE doesn't support it? That surprises me. And yes, it is just U+0039
>> (as that is what it is defined to be).
>

> So if it's just a neutral apostrophe, and you "should" use &apos;,
> then I've
> been right all along... :P

Are you being deliberately obtuse or something? There are times when you
should use the neutral apostrophe, or else it wouldn't exist: however,
one of these times is *not* as an apostrophe or single quotation mark in
normal text when you're able to use more than just ASCII. "don't" is
wrong, "don’t" is right; "'I went to the shops', said Mary." is wrong,
"‘I went to the shops’, said Mary." is right; etc. etc. etc.

Nobody will throw a fit if you use the typewriter/neutral apostrophe
instead of the correct characters, but why on earth would you go out of
your way to change WordPress's behaviour from correctly using smart
quotes to only using dumb ones?

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/