[wp-hackers] Drop PHP4 support entirely?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Jul 6 19:27:30 GMT 2007

On 7/5/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Let's make sure we have really solid importers for all the CMSes on that
> list. :)

Good point. It's also worth noting that we do *not* have a really
solid importer for Drupal. Might want to consider making that a
priority.

> (And wow that website is ugly.)

No argument here.

I do, however, think it would be an interesting idea to start a new
branch or something in Wordpress to explore the possibility of
allowing PHP5 only code. That is, start a new trunk or something and
allow changes to it to be fully PHP5, preferably setting the goal at a
minimum requirement of PHP 5.2.

Why? Well, I think it would be interesting to see how much better the
code could be if this was a possibility. Allow people to submit the
necessary changes and start migrating the code. If it doesn't work
out, no biggie. If somebody introduces something really neat, then
maybe it can be backported. If it gets good enough, maybe it can
become a baseline for 3.0 or whatever.

There's no easy way to tell whether having PHP 5.2 as a minimum
requirement would be worth it without actually trying it for a while.