[wp-hackers] Maximum # of users

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Jan 31 03:13:53 GMT 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 6:54 PM, Charles Hooper wrote:

> What's the maximum number of users Wordpress intends to support?
> User IDs in wp_users are stored as BIGINT(20), however while
> messing about with the caching functions I noticed that get_userdata
> () casts the supplied ID to an integer, making ~2 billion the
> maximum number of users possible that Wordpress can handle.

WordPress 2.0.x can't handle much more than 800-1000 users because of
the way wp-admin/users.php loads them all onto the same page (you run
out of memory at this point).  2.1 fixes that and it can scale to at
least 10,000, but I honestly have no idea what the ceiling is now.  I
really don't think 2 billion is anything we need to worry about for now.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/

Covered Web Services