[wp-hackers] Version Maintenance

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sat Jan 27 22:49:55 GMT 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 8:48 PM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> I don't think there are any plans to maintain 2.1 for 5 years like
> we're maintaining 2.0, since we're going to be releasing more often
> we should probably pick a version a few after this one (2.3?) to
> put on a long-term maintenance cycle.

It'd be good to have about 6-12 months of overlap between announcing
the date for 2.0.x discontinuation and 2.y.x stability commitment.
People still on 2.0.x at that time will be looking for long term
stability, so we'll want to provide a nice safe upgrade path for them
that they'll have time to complete.

And agreed, if we're going to release every few months, we can't be
supporting every version indefinitely.  We can make the best choice
when 2.0.x is preparing to ride off into the sunset and have that be
the stable version for a few years.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/