[wp-hackers] Enhance WP to use page categories

Mike Purvis mike at uwmike.com
Wed Jan 24 19:05:34 GMT 2007

I would implement this in terms of the hierarchy.

You could a have a base page with a slug like "/private/" so that
pages like "/private/secrets" would be inaccessible. You'd just have
to have a plugin that ran at boot time and dumped you to the login
screen if you didn't have authorization to view the given stem.

As for the question about static pages, it's fully possible to wrap
your theme around *any* content you like, even dynamic stuff, or
something you wouldn't want to enter through the editor. For example,
we have source code views that look like this:

http://googlemapsbook.com/chapter6/onResize/map_functions.js.source#l6-10

If you strip off the ".source" portion, it displays a plain JavaScript
file sitting on the server. But ".source" funnels it into a Wordpress
plugin page that shows the arbitrary content---in this case,
prettily-rendered source code.

If there's general interest in how to do this, I'd be happy to publish
a tutorial.

Mike

http://uwmike.com // http://googlemapsbook.com