[wp-hackers] WP-Manage: Automatic WP backups and upgrades with PHP

Ryan Duff ryan at ryanduff.net
Fri Jan 19 18:00:35 GMT 2007

Aaron,

Maybe I'm not clear on this, but it seems to me that he said
(multiple times) that you only need to change the perms the *first
time* You keep taking about changing, upgrading, and changing back
and I think this is not the case. That would be more useless than
doing a manual upgrade.

I think he clearly stated that you open the permissions the first
time, the web server takes over as owner and grants only itself write
permission so it's not open globally. Thereafter, any time you go in
and click "upgrade" the script has the correct permissions to run,
yet it's still secure from outside sources having write access to
those folders.

Quoting Alex:
"Yes, I'm aware of this. But as soon you run the upgrade, the files in
wp-admin/ and wp-includes/ (and the WP files in the base directory) are
taken over by the webserver and will be protected again. This is why I
recommend to only make them writable directly before running the upgrade
routine for the first time (see under "Security" on the homepage)."

Maybe a quick glance over http://www.zirona.com/software/wp-
manage#security would be useful

--
Ryan Duff