[wp-hackers] User folders for themes, plug-ins

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Thu Jan 18 18:12:18 GMT 2007

>> I can't think of reason that this would be necessary, but others
>> might.
>
> IIRC that is how we ended up here.  For Mac servers, the problem
> stems from directory replacement behaviors.

The current problem is that user and system files are intermingled within
individual folders.

This first step is to separate user plug-in and theme files into their own
folder.  These user folders would be in the root folder and not included
with WP, so users can drag in all files and folders from new WP
distributions and everything will be fine.

I understand you're talking about the use case where someone using a
folders-replace-folders client (not a "Mac servers" issue per se) could drag
the single "wordpress" folder over their "wordpress" folder, but for that to
be useful we'd have to move /all/ user files outside the WP root
(wp-config.php, wp-images, etc.).  That might be a really great thing to do
in the future, but that shouldn't block this interim improvement.

> a) deprecate wp-content/plugins and wp-content/themes

No, these have to stay as system plug-in and theme folders.

-- Charles