[wp-hackers] User folders for themes, plug-ins

Steve Lewis stevelle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 17:02:14 GMT 2007

On 1/18/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> Let's depend on convention over configuration at first, keeping it
> conceptually simple as we introduce it.  However, any new WP functions
> that
> need to be created could abstract the path to the point that they wouldn't
> prevent this from becoming configurable in the future.
>
> > Should we allow it to be outside the webroot?
>
> I can't think of reason that this would be necessary, but others might.

For Mac servers, the problem stems from directory replacement behaviors.
IIRC that is how we ended up here.
That leaves us with the important question of how can Wordpress:

a) deprecate wp-content/plugins and wp-content/themes
b) while continuing to support existing plugins which depend on that path
gracefully
c) make sure that the new 'user-extensions' directory exists on install
d) not overwrite that directory on upgrade

By my thinking it will require the path to be customizable by configuration.

I can also say that I have some concerns over the security of the model that
allows us to write plugins that generate HTML responses.  I don't know that
having the new user extensions directory outside the webroot is necessary,
but would want to consider it at least.

--
SteveL