[wp-hackers] Upgrade instructions fatally flawed for Mac

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 03:24:22 GMT 2007

On 1/15/07, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> There is a major bug in the upgrade instructions on
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress that can cause Mac users
> to lose their data. This needs to be corrected. The problem is here:
>
> Step 3: Overwrite Files
>
> Get the latest and greatest WordPress (http://wordpress.org/download)
> and upload it to the WordPress directory, overwriting all the files that
> exist there. This will preserve your images and themes.

Your themes, images, etc. should all be named differently than the
default. I don't think the fact that the default theme should not be
edited in place is something that is stressed enough. If people were
to abide by this, nothing of importance would be overridden. Also, not
uploading wp-content at all is a rather poor idea, imho, because no
new themes in future versions and such, or no new default plugins,
etc. etc. would make it into upgraded sites

--
--Robert Deaton
http://lushlab.com