[wp-hackers] WordPress Architecture

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sun Feb 18 08:01:41 GMT 2007

___/ On Sun 18 Feb 2007 07:08:22 GMT, [ sai krishna ] wrote : \___

> Hi,
>
>   I was looking for wordpress design or architecture documentation
> on the net, but mostly it leads to the
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Blog_Design_and_Layout.
>
>   Kindly, need your help in understanding Wordpress Architecture or Design.
>

>   Thank You
>   Sai Krishna

Hi,

If you wish to see a dependencies chart (or function call chart), then
you'll probably need to generate one yourself, using a PHP flow
analysis tool. It could, however, be rather complex. I suggest that
you learn the functions and files, as documented in the Codex,
starting with the core files and going 'outwards'. This way you will
get a feel for what's going on 'under the hood' (WordPress anatomy).
You will know which file/function does what. Beyond this, I am not
entirely sure what to suggest, but I advise that you do intra-file
search using tools like GNUrep to identify code of interest. You could
alternatively search the Codex for particular bits of the code. There
is some description there about the structure/hierarchy, which is
probably the most you can get.

As code evolves over time, there's nothing that beats experience and
once you stop hacking, you'll forget variable names, function names,
and find them removed, renamed, or relocated.

I hope this helps a little...

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E