[wp-hackers] WP 2.1 static home page issues

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Feb 17 20:16:38 GMT 2007

On 2/17/07, R.J. Kaplan <just.be.happy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > See #3682: is_home() returns FALSE when using a static page as your
> > front page, should return TRUE
> > http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3682
> > which is closed WONTFIX.
>
> I'm not a WP developer, and not familiar with the trac system, but I
> really think this should be changed. Is it OK to discuss it here?
> Although is_home() is sometimes used to add things to the sidebar on
> the main blog page, that is a secondary use imo, and maybe a new tag
> is_blog() should be created.
> The front page of a site is often unique, and needs unique settings,
> wether showing a blog or static information.

Personally, I think we should fix that.  is_home() was intended to
always track the front page and that's how most people use it.

2 and 3 should go in trac.  Those would be good fixes.

For 4, I think the reading page is the best location among the
existing options pages.  I don't know if creating a new page for them
is worth it.

Ryan