[wp-hackers] WordPress and GPLv3

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Dec 29 22:07:01 GMT 2007

On 12/29/07, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>         2. Closing of the code -- however partial it might be -- can be
>         achieved through loopholes. Some examples have been mentioned in
>         this thread.

Please explain this in more detail. The GPLv2 has no loopholes that I
am aware of. There is no way to close the code.

>         3. Developer affinity. I am aware of various developers to whom
>         GPLv3 has a special appeal. It represent a step forward rather than
>         complacence. Drupal can use this as a competitive advantage that
>         attracts programmers and software-savvy bloggers. MT is one to
>         watch out for as well.

What about developer dislike as well? I've already stated here,
repeatedly, that I will not use GPLv3 code under any circumstances. I
am not alone in that respect, and to suggest otherwise is
disingenuous.

>         4. Compatibility (long-term sight). I don't know where pertinent
>         packages like TinyMCE are headed, but it's worth finding out.

Any packages that choose to use incompatible licensing schemes like
the GPLv3 should be removed from WordPress. WordPress should not
change its own licensing just to be able to use some specific package.
Instead, alternative packages should be used.