[wp-hackers] Re: Unanswered tickets

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 18:06:22 GMT 2007

On 20 Dec 2007, at 17:59, Stephen Rider wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2007, at 10:46 AM, James Davis wrote:
>
>> I don't think that simply posting a plain list of tickets you
>> think need action is not likely to solicit the results you're
>> looking for. Instead try to think why tickets have seen little
>> action.
>>
>> As an example you listed #2648 which is a patch to a file that no
>> longer exists. I think that one could quite easily be resolved.
>
> I think resolving it is the point.  If it's such a slam dunk, why
> is it still in Trac?  (Okay, I see that it was just resolved
> _today_ which kind of makes the point of having drawn attention to
> it.)
>
> At the least, things should be marked "Ain't gonna", "Obsolete",
> "Waiting for TinyMCE update", or whatever.  Right now many of them
> are "Waiting for Godot" -- hanging in limbo -- which gives the
> people volunteering their efforts the impression that they're
> efforts are ignored, which is not good for the future of WordPress.
>
> I've had a particular patch in for months now.  It would be nice to
> see _some_ indication of whether anybody is even considering it.
> Obviously it's not all going to be decided a day after submission,
> but six months later there ought to be _something_.

Which ticket are your referring to? Context is useful is resolving
these issues.

> I do not mean to insult any of the "higher ups" at WordPress.
> Obviously there are a _ton_ of bugs submitted, and a lot of
> patches, and it's a lot to slog through.  But when somebody takes
> the time to write a patch, somebody, somewhere, should give some
> feedback -- yes, this might be used/no it's crap/it needs work/
> whatever.

I try and respond to things as they come in - i spend a long time
churning through the emails that are sent to the wp-trac list and try
and respond to tickets.

If you want feedback on something feel free to assign it to me and It
will be higher on my radar.

I know the frustration of watching ones patches sit in trac for
months - I've been there and I am trying to resolve the issue by
getting things committed!

westi