[wp-hackers] Updating Codex to newer MediaWiki version

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 13 21:31:32 GMT 2007

On 12/12/07, Matt <speedboxer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 4:59 PM, Rob <r at robm.me.uk> wrote:
> > No it's not. Version numbers are not decimals, they never have been.
>
> I believe they are decimals, otherwise, why use the decimal point?

Not all cultures use a period (dot) as the decimal separator.
Europeans (probably not all of them, admittedly) tend to use the comma
as a decimal separator. Like "2,9" instead of "2.9". Most of these
cultures also use the period (dot) as the thousands marker. Example:
"12.345,69" instead of "12,345.69".

The choice of a separator in a versioning scheme is completely
arbitrary, as is the choice of nomenclature in mathematical
expressions.

And that's my nickel's worth of trivia for today. Coming soon: Presidents!

-Otto