[wp-hackers] making the code editor the default view

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Dec 6 21:12:08 GMT 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 2:31 PM, Andrew Ozz wrote:
> Thinking of the most (99.9%?) users that can't/won't code html by
> hand and their surprise when they see a plain textarea instead of
> an editor...

> It's also pretty easy to disable it too: just add
> wp_deregister_script('wp_tiny_mce'); and it's gone.

This is a solid argument _against_ making it a plugin.  I had also
not realized now easy it was to entirely disable TinyMCE if making an
"alternate" plugin.  I still think it's a good idea to standardize
how such Editor plugins might interact with core so other plugins
might work with whatever editor is active -- though if TinyMCE is
already there, I suppose that whatever it's functions are become the
de facto standard.  Hmmm...

has there been any real discussion of standardizing the ability for
plugins to add editor buttons?  Will the upcoming version of TinyMCE
have this?

On Dec 6, 2007, at 2:48 PM, spencerp wrote:

> Just curious, but can't "you" just make Akismet part of the core?
> Like, take it out of the plugins directory all together, and add it
> to core? Make a special file for that itself? Or, since Spam Karma
> 2 has an Akismet plugin option, just add Spam Karma 2 instead? I
> was just wondering since Akismet is also the Developers little baby
> too. =) As for "Hello Dolly" plugin, maybe just make that part of
> core as well?
<snip>

Snark aside, one of the primary purposes of "Hello Dolly" is to serve
as an example of how to make a plugin, and to give n00bs an idea of
the kind of things that plugins can do.

Stephen