[wp-hackers] making the code editor the default view

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Dec 6 15:38:06 GMT 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Otto wrote:

> My opinion is that TinyMCE should be removed from the core entirely,
> and into a plugin instead. It can be a default packaged plugin if you
> like, but making it a plugin would make it easier for other plugins to
> replace the editor.

I agree with this entirely.

However -- if we were to do this, I think it would behoove us to
establish certain things in core so that all such Editor Plugins can
interact the same way with core _and_ other plugins.  In other words,
establish either some sort of core hooks for these interfaces to
attach themselves to, and/or at least standardize function names (and
parameters) these plugins should use for certain things so that other
plugins can interact with them.

Example:  We establish that Editor Plugins can allow other plugins to
add buttons by defining a function like so:  add_WYS_button
( button_name, function, image )

The actual handling of that function is within each Editor Plugin,
but any other plugin authors would be able to call it, and it would
work with _any_ editor function that includes that standardized
function call.

Stephen