[wp-hackers] making the code editor the default view

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 6 07:17:10 GMT 2007

I have not searched through Trac in particular (partially because I
get a "no route to host" on trac.wordpress.org at my workplace for
some odd reason, but mostly because I'm lazy).

However, the support forums are rife with TinyMCE related problems.
Basically, if you try to do anything more with it than text + anchor
links + img tags, you can be virtually certain that it will screw it
up somehow. It just completely screws with your carefully crafted HTML
code; there's a dozen or so cases of people entering in stuff in the
"code" tab, then going to edit the post, TinyMCE popping up and
ruining all that hard work instantly. The only real workable solution,
if you actually want to enter HTML snippets, is to disable the visual
editor entirely.

Example: Go to any site that gives you embeddable code to paste (ie,
Youtube) and try it with the TinyMCE editor. The result is invariably
chaos, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. It has a
particular problem with object tags, putting the params outside the
object and sometimes removing them entirely for no obvious reason.

wpautop doesn't much help either in that respect, although I'd rather
see that improved rather than removed. At least autop has gotten
noticably better over time. TinyMCE has gotten noticably worse.
Perhaps the developers don't actually use the visual editor much? I
don't either, so I wouldn't blame them for it, but that would explain
it's lack of improvement.

Debugging javascript stuff like this is really not my bag, else I'd
try to fix some bugs and submit some patches for it.

-Otto