[wp-hackers] Get rid of Reply-To munging

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 03:36:32 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 04:44 -0600, Andy Skelton wrote:
> The vast majority of replies are intended to be sent to the list.
> Reply-To makes this the default action on clicking Reply in most email
> clients.

It's not making it the "default action", it's simply mangling the
functionality of the Reply button. You're making the functionality of
the Reply and Reply All buttons the same, when they were previously
different.

You're not adding any functionality, you're only removing it, and
introducing an extra hurdle when you want to specifically reply
off-list.

I was considering setting up a special email address like a few other
people do here, like "wordpress(at)jeremy.visser.name", and set up a
Reply-To header so any offlist replies would go to my main address,
"jeremy.visser(at)gmail.com", but I can't do that, because the mailing
list is completely disregarding the address I would like people to reply
to, and substituting it with its own.

But then again, it may be even more dangerous to change the function of
an already working list, as not everybody will start hitting Reply All
magically if you turn off Reply-To munging.