[wp-hackers] Tag functionality questions

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 05:19:35 GMT 2007

Benedict Eastaugh wrote:
> There's already a tag cloud function in 2.3, wp_tag_cloud.

I'm not sure who gave me this, but here's what I had used before. I
pretty much stopped using it, because no patch was added to ensure it's
true full functionality for the tag_cloud in the core. Example,
controlling how many tags will display and etc etc... I think someone
created a patch, but I don't think it was committed. =/ And since I run
my blogs on Trunk, using SVN / SSH on Dreamhost, I really hate the idea
of "hacking files". :P

<?php if ( function_exists('wp_tag_cloud') ) : ?>
<li>
<h2>Popular Tags</h2>
<ul>
<?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=22'); ?>
</ul>
</li>
<?php endif; ?>

That's for displaying smaller and larger font sizes for the tags. Then
there's this one too:
<?php wp_tag_cloud('smallest=8&largest=22&number=40&orderby=count'); ?>

Which is supposed to do the same thing, but also at the same time.. only
display a select amount of tags in the tag cloud itself. Only problem
is, the "tag display count" function isn't in the core yet, at least I
don't think...? Someone gave a link before to a page on the codex about
this before, but I can't find it now. Anyone care to explain the
"How-To" for this tag_cloud functionality stuff? It's going to be one of
the vital things that will need to be addressed, and I'd rather it be
sooner then later... ;) :P

--
spencerp
http://spencerp.net