[wp-hackers] Fixing Bugs

jacobsantos at branson.com jacobsantos at branson.com
Mon Aug 27 21:56:42 GMT 2007

Well, yeah, also it should be unit tested, along with QA. A few people
are doing so already and I am one of those people. However, the unit
tests won't be ready for the 2.3 release, or cover 100% of the
functions. Some files and functions are unit testable (but are
acceptance testable and characterization testable), which would add to
the time needed to test the API functions.

I was able to find and patch a few bugs in a plugins.php alone, which is
relatively stable. I started unit tests for taxonomy.php, but don't have
complete coverage and won't probably have it for a few weeks.

Unit tests won't completely stop bugs, unless test are written for the
bugs after the fact (which is always a good idea, to make sure that the
bug never shows up again). What I've been trying to do is test the
expected behavior (characterization tests), instead of the intended
(what the original developer thought) or morphed behavior (what happens
when you give the wrong input; garbage in, does garbage come out?).

Unit Tests won't replace manually testing WordPress features, nor would
acceptance tests when those are complete. Humans have a better odds of
finding errors where the tests don't and tests have the advantage of
being able to run so that past bugs don't show up again and make sure
humans didn't miss out an intended feature.

Some WordPress code would only be tested if someone runs that portion,
while others require manually entering data from the site.

The best case would to be to also unit test the JavaScript code that
isn't part of external libraries.

Jacob Santos