[wp-hackers] Re: Sharing Users/authentication

Curt Woodard clwoodard at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:38:41 GMT 2007

Another Update:

OK, some more news. I have fixed the _usermeta issue when someone from
SMF goes to WP for the first time.
All I do is set up 3 basic things: *_capabilities, *_user_level, and nickname.

Since you decide the role and everything in WP when you register
someone, this won't be an issue. Now, if someone is registered in SMF
and logs into WP, they will be issued the above 3 usermeta keys as
they enter WP.

You will have to set up 1 array for this, an array that shows the user
groups in SMF as their BASIC roles in WP.

For instance. Someone with the Administrator group in SMF (1) will be
assigned a user_level of 10 and a capabilities of [administrator] => 1
(or administrator = true). I will look at a default version of SMF for
default user groups and set that up. If you have different ones, it
might just be part of the installation (or options, if I can figure
them out).

OK: Next up will be to clear out invalid usermeta data to make sure
that users who are deleted in SMF are also deleted in WP. I'll look
into that soon.

Following this will be user insert/update from the WP side so that
registration by user and admin both work. For now, it's time for me to
go to bed (12 hour shifts kill me).