[wp-hackers] SetupWP, simplifying WordPress installation

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:44:54 GMT 2007

Per Soderlind wrote:
> The reason why I created this wizard is (hopefully) to make it easier
> for the novice user to install and enjoy WordPress J

Not a bad tool, but I don't think this will solve most of setup issues,
which lie in the database. From experience, nearly all newbie issues
with WP setup lies in the database configuration; uploading via FTP is
the easy bit.

Also, the setup wizards says "Please read the following License
Agreement [GPL]. You must agree to the terms before continuing."

Well, actually, you don't need to agree to the terms to use WordPress:

> Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
> running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
> is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
> Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
> Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.

So, the license dialog is not necessary.

Just my little bit of feedback. I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to
put you off; it's certainly the contrary. :)

--
Jeremy Visser