[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Apr 20 19:25:57 GMT 2007

On 4/19/07, Jamie Talbot <wphackers at jamietalbot.com> wrote:
> > > To be clear, is the taxonomy field still a string, or are you changing
> > > it to an int?
>
> Well, usually, I'd go with a separate lookup table and int joins every time.  However, it seems like
> some people already aren't happy with 3 tables and I thought I'd be pushing my luck going for 4.
> You can do a simple caching function which slurps them all up in one go though, and because it's not
> likely to change much, you could place them somewhere where they'll be autoloaded.  Plugins could
> then add entries to that table, instead of recreating their taxonomy each time they are loaded.  I'd
> personally like to see a 4th table yeah.  I imagine there will be lots of lookups for taxonomy and
> string joins aren't great.

I'm okay with a separate table as long as we're not joining on it
everywhere.  The table could hold an auto_increment integer id and a
varchar descriptive name.  This could be cached in an array stored in
the options table.  Options are autoloaded so we won't be adding extra
queries for front page loads.

Ryan