[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Wed Apr 18 20:14:19 GMT 2007

> Steve Lewis wrote:
> > Categories are not in a distinct table from Tags because they are
> both in
> > wp_terms in the proposed schema I am replying to.
>
> But terms are neither categories or tags, the definition is stored in a
> separate table so you can have both a category and tag named
> "cocktails."

Yep, I believe that ties in with BCNF db schema.. It's just a bit "weird"
since WP hasn't been using this route - but this would be a huge step
towards a proper db schema :)

Hopefuly by using JOIN queries here we might be setting a precedent to
further optimize the rest of WP's db-calls.

It would be just _awesome_ to have WP use a fully BCNF db... though I'm not
holding my breath for two or three years though :P

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/