[wp-hackers] MySQL MEMORY worth using for an object cache?

Paul Menard codehooligans at codehooligans.com
Tue Apr 17 14:45:20 GMT 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 6:24 AM, Robert Deaton wrote:
> It is because of this that I'd choose APC or memcached as a persistent
> object cache backend. Probably APC because there is no daemon there
> either, it can be stored straight to RAM and retrieved straight from
> RAM.

Robert, just wondering about your choice of words in the above. The
way it's written you are almost stating APC is an alternate to using
MySQL caching. In my development experience for high traffic sites
these are two different technologies that can really compliment each
other. My understanding of APC is it just caches the pre-compiled php
object code for Apache. Which is better than having repeated requests
for the same PHP page causing recompile from source every time. The
actual WordPress page content is not stored as part of the object.
This is just the PHP object code that still needs to be executed to
build the output.

Paul