[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Tue Apr 17 13:31:24 GMT 2007

On Monday 16 April 2007 09:19:56 Ryan Boren wrote:
> Putting aside the rest of the debate, let's talk schema.  Here's a
> proposed three table solution where we have terms (tags/categories),
> taxonomies (link categories, post categories, post tags), and objects
> (posts/pages and links).

The schema you propose could make it easier for plugin developers.

It would indeed require a lot of rewrites in the core to make it support this
schema. Maybe it should be implemented for use by plugins only, at least to
begin with. A new API for plugins would not break current functionality.

In time we could port the (post|link) categories and tags to use this, if the
schema works as intended (for the plugin developers). We should reserve some
names to prevent breaking plugins when/if we deside on porting cats/tags.

--
Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700