[wp-hackers] WP Developer Edition

Chris chris.hearn01 at ntlworld.com
Tue Apr 17 09:06:44 GMT 2007

I don't think there will be a problem -I should explain that my plugin
is for a large sailing club web site.
The purpose of the plugin is:
a) To validate approx 500 member details on registration. Signing In
activates site additional pages and facilities on the site that are
"Member only". For example posts on "Member-only" pages can only be read
when a member is signed in.

b) To show members detail of the year's sailing dates, duty rotas.
c) The plugin uses imported data on membership, sailing events, duty
dates, which I keep in entirely separate tables.
The plugin generates a list (of about 120) sailing events thoughout the
year. The plugin creates the posts and event calendar entries.
d) Members can see duty rotas for each sailing event, to check their
duty dates, see the events for each week etc.. This is done via a custom
theme page template and direct MySQL queries. There IS a linkage into
the users table here, just to find the current user.
---
So the main linkage is to wp-posts table, and the Event Calendar plugin
table ec3-schedule.

My plugin references these to add/delete the event list for the year.
About 120 events. To display the duties I use a theme page template
which looks up the member duties based on their login. and can display
only the duties for that member, by month etc. But that is hadnled
within the page template. There are about 800 "duties" in a year.

The plugin activates, simply look for the presence of these tables, and
creates the tables if they dont exist.
I then currently imported the data using phpMyAdmin, (because that's
easy for me at present) from csv table data created by the club.

For normal plugin activate/de-activate there is no impact - the data
just sits in my tables, plus the wp-posts and ec3-schedule tables.
(When ec3 is de-activated it keeps the event table intact, so again no
problem.)

UPGRADING:
If there is a wp issue on upgrade, I have an admin page with plugin
routines that read my tables and add all the posts and events to the
calendar, and I also have a routine to remove all the events again. So I
think worst case would be remove all the events, then wp upgrade, then
run the plugin "create-sailing events" admin routine. This would only be
necessary if the wp-post id's are affected by the upgrade, which I
decided was unlikely.
I'm probably more dependent on the Event Calendar ec3-schedule plugin
table structure.

If WP upgrade changes the _core_ structure I shall not upgrade!
But bear in mind that I am focused on a specific purpose, not a general
purpose plugin - although I guess most plugins start life like this!

Hope that helps.
Chris

    Chris Hearn
    *Tel:* 01625 827589
    *Mob:* 07768 725141
    *email:* chris.hearn01 at ntlworld.com
    material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
    or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
    or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
    If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
    material from any computer.