[wp-hackers] should (can?) wp-cache be adopted into the core?

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Tue Apr 17 06:41:53 GMT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 10:57 PM, David Chait wrote:

>  I'd claim that wp-cache is one of the most critical plugins out
> there for anyone with even a moderate level of traffic, and that
> having it not being properly attended to, updated, heck even
> improved, is going to become a 'critical issue' to many folks out
> there.  And I think it needs to be closer to the action.

I've had some ideas about this in the past:

Would be cool if WP-Cache2 could be recoded to use the object cache
API.  Then you could make it use Memcache or APC  which should take
the hard drive out of the equation with cached loads.

While WP-Cache2 is a tremendous help, it has one major downside:
dynamic actions require a lot of work to re-wire.  Many people don't
"get" the concept (even people with some PHP-tinkering experience).
So this isn't something that should be installed by default.

If it could be de-bugged and cleaned up, I might be okay with it
being included as a plugin, but I'd almost rather focus on caching
and optimization efforts that everyone can benefit from and that
don't kill a site's ability to be as dynamic as the operator wants it
to be.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/