[wp-hackers] WP Developer Edition

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:16:15 GMT 2007

On 4/16/07, Aaron Brazell <abrazell at b5media.com> wrote:
> My opinion is that WordPress should not be _supported_ as multiple
> version (exception being MU, WordPress.com [only form of virtual
> trunk that is supported] and WordPress.org). However, I think great
> things can come from forking and that is the beauty of GPL. I think
> forking WP is an extreme thing to do considering the fact that the
> weight and bulk of support is on the forker and that most
> enhancements would be given proper consideration even if the ultimate
> outcome is a WONTFIX or worse yet an OMYGODBBQBUTNO. Hooks are cheap.
> Plugins are not as cheap but can do just about anything that needs to
> be done without modifying core. But in the end, the rare occasions
> where a fork is deemed appropriate, good things can come to the
> forked version and even for WP proper.

I took deko to be advocating for a multi-flavored release system by WP
proper, thus incurring all support burdens that are inherent in the
WP.org code releases anyway.  That, to paraphrase the Persian envoy,
is madness.  Automattic and the community have enough troubles keeping
up with WP, WPMU and bbPress as it is -- can you imagine what the
Support fora would look like if there were three(!) versions of WP?

No, if deko's idea is a good one that is worthy of inclusion in WP,
there should be a Trac issue logged and .diffs submitted for peer
review.  The "developer's version" of WP effectively IS trunk between
releases.

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/