[wp-hackers] Taxonomy Schema Proposal

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Mon Apr 16 08:05:07 GMT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 3:19 AM, Ryan Boren wrote:

> Putting aside the rest of the debate, let's talk schema.  Here's a
> proposed three table solution where we have terms (tags/categories),
> taxonomies (link categories, post categories, post tags), and objects
> (posts/pages and links).

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of hours since you
pitched it to me, and I've yet to find fault with it.  It appears to
deliver everything Matt's been trying to shoehorn into our current
structure, but has several huge advantages.  The queries are sane,
there aren't a zillion foo_count columns, you can have completely
different Link Category and Post Category trees, and (this is a BIG
one), it is easily and cleanly extendible via plugins.

Looking forward to the response on this.  Hope crowd from the other
thread gives this a serious look.

To all the people who want pages to be categorizable, with this
schema, a plugin can do it *without adding any new tables* and
*without screwing up existing taxonomies*.  That should get some
people interested.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/