[wp-hackers] Grab a seat. On Delaying 2.2, separating tables

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sun Apr 15 23:51:45 GMT 2007

Robin Adrianse wrote:
> I don't agree. One of my big, BIG pet peeves of the 2.1 release was that
> link and post categories were, so to speak, "unified." If we're going to
> separate them in the UI, then we should really put them in separate tables.

By that argument we should have separate tables for posts, pages,
uploads, rss feeds, rewrite rules...

For April Fool's next year we should do a version with 1 post per table.
Why?

* Posts are used differently in different contexts.
* You can do custom fields with ACTUAL fields.
* Get the benefit of the per-table query cache.
* "Tables are cheap!"

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com