db tables + file system directory limitations was( Re: [wp-hackers] State of WP )

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:29:22 GMT 2007

On 4/9/07, Lloyd Budd <lloydomattic at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly 64-bit nor any of the other popular file sytems

Oops, never finished my thought, anyway Robert describes it better
than I would have:

Regardless, any and all modern filesystems have inode structures that
will allow millions to trillions or more files in a directory.  The
32k limit was actually on subdirectories in a single directory, and
only under certain filesystems like ext2, newer ones including ext3
will not necessarily suffer the same limitations. Lucky for us, MySQL
doesn't make a new directory for each table. MySQL will do just fine.