[wp-hackers] Automatic Upgrades with InstantUpgrade plugin

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Wed Apr 4 17:12:38 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 10:29 -0400, Doug Stewart wrote:
> I'm a bit fuzzy on what exactly you'll be using the FTP for.  What
> portion of the upgrade process are you proposing be accomplished via
> FTP?  Downloading the .zip/tar.gz of WordPress from wp.org?

No, the deleting and inserting of the WordPress files on the user's
webspace. If I let the webserver do this, it will need permissions like
777 (for directories) or 666 (for files), because on most hosts, FTP
user and webserver user have different system accounts. Now if I would
log into the webspace with FTP credentials, I would act as FTP user, and
could therefore overcome permission issues.

> What advantages do you percieve in this method over your current
> methodology

Users don't have to make tons of files writable, and the WP root doesn't
have to be left writable. Also, once a user wants to remove the plugin,
he/she must perform a pain-in-the-you-know-where procedure to regain
ownership of the files. This would all become obsolete when using FTP;
the user would enter the credentials once, and would not be bothered by
chmod issues.

>  (one which received a bit of a knock in the WP Podcast
> #21, btw. http://tinyurl.com/3cgvd9   *grin*)

Yes... that episode. ;) I am a bit disappointed how somebody can make
(and admit!) a stupid mistake, then attribute it to the plugin, and then
talk five minutes about how screwed that plugin is. But, ok... it's his
opinion, and I guess he didn't mean to be so harsh (as the comments also
show).

Regards,
Alex

--