[wp-hackers] Wordpress Event Viewer Plugin

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Wed Apr 4 12:15:41 GMT 2007

Sorry, I have no idea what the hell that was.... now after a long night's sleep, maybe I can make that go away :P

Yeah, sure, MD5 isn't encryption like PGP or Blowfish & Co. but it since we're not looking to retrieving the original unhashed value, it'll serve the same purpose.

Since the original unhashed message (password) will be made available, and all you have to do is check if its hash is the same as the hash you have stored, it's good enough.

Besides that, the argument remains unchanged.

Let's say it WAS encrypted, with a 4096-bit AES cipher. Does it make a difference? Since the source code is available to be freely modified, the real password can be leaked from anywhere pre-encryption or post-verification.

So, yeah, a Salt puts an obstacle in the way, and you'd have to first md5 the salt (available from the db) then rainbow table the password hash, then remove the md5'd salt from the "dehashed" password hash and then once more rainbow table the remaining stuff (because it's a 2 hashes within a hash) to get the password.

It doesn't make a difference how you look at it or if it's SHA2-512 being used vs. real GPG encryption of the password - so long as unencrypted/unhashed password is EVER at any point presented to the server its insecure.

Sorry about last night, I wasn't thinking straight and got carried away.

I guess the point of all this is: passwords are dead, security doesn't exist, and stuff like OpenID will never get the chance to make a difference unless everyone agrees around this point.

Back to my 500 accounts now?

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/