[wp-hackers] Re: 2.0.10 and 2.1.3 Release Candidates

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Mon Apr 2 04:15:25 GMT 2007

From: "Robin Adrianse" <robin.adr at gmail.com>

> Personally, I don't know how upgrading could be easier... you just
> upload
> the new files over the old files, and run wp-admin/upgrade.php.

> You can avoid this altogether by using SVN, and switch'ing to the
> new branch
> when a major release comes out.

Easy in principle. In reality, few users have svn access. And believe
it or not, most people (yes, most) are intimidated / confused by
FTP.  And if you take a look at the public upgrade instructions:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress

your average user is understandably intimidated. Especially when you
factor in the instructions that people should deactivate all plugins
and then re-activate them one by one. And that they back up their
database before proceeding. I've never followed these steps, and have
never had things break, but people do take the instructions at face
value, which means the process is a *lot* more involved for them than
it probably needs to be.

People are afraid they're going to break something, or don't have the
time or skills to go through all the steps. I actually had what I
thought was a very internet-savvy user confess that he had not
upgraded from 1.2.x or something because the instructions made it
seem like if he didn't do everything exactly right he'd break his blog.

... Or we could have a one-click option in Dashboard that would
require no skills or time to operate. A lot of people out there are
spending 30 fearful minutes upgrading WP, when it could be 30 seconds.

The downside is that inevitably, an automatic upgrader is going to
break a few blogs with unexpected configurations, and there's going
to be heat from that. Still, I think it would be better than the
current situation, which is that people aren't even trying to upgrade
because it seems too complicated.

./s