[wp-hackers] $wpdb query

ryan fitzer ryanfitzer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 04:06:57 GMT 2006

Cori, thanks. I'll give this a try. Makes sense.
Robin, not a stupid question. I'm placing the query right after the first
page INSERT query. So I'm figuring that the post is setup at this point.
Right?
After I get this to work I'll try updating the codex as well as well as
adding in the parts about sub-pages and sub-cats.
Thanks again for the help.

On 9/19/06, Robin Adrianse <shorty114 at shorty114.net> wrote:

> Stupid question, but you *have* inserted the post already, right?
>
> Also, as the email after mine suggests, use ID instead of post_ID.
>
> On 9/19/06, ryan fitzer <ryanfitzer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the help. It is the SQL that I'm having trouble with but your
> > explanation helped in other ways. Here is what I've used for a subpage
> > without success:
> >
> > $wpdb->query("UPDATE $wpdb->posts SET post_parent = 3 WHERE post_ID =
> > 4 AND post_status = 'static'");
> >
> > Got no results from this. And no clue what the query would look like
> with
> > sub-cat.
> >
> > Ryan
> >
> > On 9/19/06, Robin Adrianse <shorty114 at shorty114.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Like you said, I'm not sure if this is the best place for a request
> like
> > > this, but here's my answer:
> > >
> > > Categories: A category is made a subcategory by setting
> category_parent
> > > something other than 0, namely the ID of the category which is its
> > parent.
> > > If it is 0, then it will just be handled as a root category (no
> > parents).
> > > If
> > > you can't figure out the SQL for this, feel free to ask.
> > >
> > > Pages: First off, a page is differentiated from a post by the setting
> of
> > > post_status. Pages always have it set to "static" (without quotes, of
> > > course), and posts can have it published, draft and private. That
> said,
> > > page is made a sub-page similarly to a category. There is a field
> > > post_parent which is the ID of the page's parent. If it is 0, it is a
> > > root-level page.
> > >
> > > I hope this answered your questions.

> > > install.php?
> > help