[wp-hackers] Text ads in themes

adam freetly adam.freetly at archgfx.net
Sun Sep 10 13:56:20 GMT 2006

Really, any link in the footer "let(s) you use my website
for your gain".  Whether it's to the theme designer, wordpress, or an ad.
It's always up to the user to decide whether to retain the link or not.
Trying to use the footer to promote your own blog will only get you knocked
off technorati, so a sponsorship link that proclaims itself as such doesn't
seem like an evil alternative.

And considering that the theme is GPL, not linkware, there's no reason that
you can't remove the link, rather than banning the theme.  You're trying to
prove a point to theme authors who put ad links in their footer, but you're
taking it out on users who just want you to upload the theme and remove the
link.
And we are talking about wordpress.COM here, where automattic is already
running their adsense on top of users' blogs.  Whatever people think about
theme authors advertising on your content, is completely off-topic here.

-adam