[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Ultimate Tag Warrior

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Tue Sep 5 13:58:16 GMT 2006

On Tue, September 5, 2006 2:22 pm, Doug Stewart wrote:
> Mike Purvis wrote:
>> I don't actually use UTW, but I got annoyed that Typo had both
>> categories and tags built into the core, when it seemed like a lot of
>> duplication of functionality. Can't you do an awfully good facsimile
>> of tags by simply having two top-level categories for "Category
>> Parent" and "Tag Parent", and then working from there?
>>

> Implementation-wise, that's actually a pretty dang good idea IMNSHO.

It sounds a bit clunky to me as it means we need to force a db upgrade of
everyones categories on update to reparent them under this hidden root.

Can we not extend the schema for the wp_cats table to have a cat_type
field which could be set to category|tag|keyword|something else to allow
for multiple types of information to be stored in the one table much in
the same way we support posts|pages

We can then change the category template and db support functions to
support this new schema and extend them to build tags into the core

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk