[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Ultimate Tag Warrior

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 07:37:31 GMT 2006

On 9/3/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> Sean Hickey wrote:
> > I also have hundreds of tags, and I don't want to see a long list of
> > tags similar to the list of categories on the write page.  So even if
> > they're some what similar on the backend, they need to be treated
> > differently.
>
> Yep, that's another UI issue. When we originally added the on-the-fly
> tag adding I put a limit on the # of category checkboxes shown on the
> write screen and limited it to the top 100 by use.

I don't want to speak for Sean, but  my concern would be with output, not
UI on the backend.  I may want to simply list the more generalized
categories, and only show the tags on a post, with a possible cloud some
where else on the site.  With UTW and WP cats, i can easily do that.
 Admittedly, I haven't explored the categories template tag in 2.1 that
much, but is that easily done with the current system?  And I emphasis
easily, as new users and theme coders would want to be able to use a few
simple parameters or template tags.
I suppose a work around would be to create a category, "tags", and then have
all the tags as a children of the parent category, and simply exclude that
cat from the list, but that seems as a hack.

Another concern I would have with building on tagging in future releases is
backward compatibility to plugins like UTW or Bunny's.  Would there be an
import feature of some sort?  Or would that be a one time use plugin?
Otherwise, current users who employ UTW would be left out of the new
features.

One reason I personally started using UTW wast he fact that prior to 2.0,
cats couldn't be added on the fly, so I opted to go the tagging route.  So
more or less, I'm stuck with that system, unless I want to go  back to go
back to each post and manually create categories for each tag.

So I guess a second question would be is the emphasis on embracing this
approach more for new users, or would existing users, especially pre
2.0adopters, be covered?