[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Ultimate Tag Warrior

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 21:16:29 GMT 2006

On 9/2/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Our tag/category system is pretty flexible and *can be used for either*
> transparently on the backend. Some people are religious about one or the
> other, nothing said on this list is going to change their minds. I see
> them as a difference in UI, not anything fundamentally different in storage.

I still disagree entirely. Categories have heirarchy. It is the
fundamental difference that keeps me using categories instead of tags.
Categories are organized, tags are not. But instead of summing up my
thoughts again, here's a few links to some likeminded people.

http://climbtothestars.org/archives/2006/02/11/tags-and-categories-are-not-the-same/
http://carthik.net/blog/vault/2006/02/21/tags-are-not-categories
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2005/09/09/categories-versus-tags-whats-the-difference-and-which-one/
http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/03/01/tags-are-not-categories-got-it/